Overlooking historic Meridian Hill Park, the 644-room Meridian Hill Hotel was finished in 1942 as the first government owned hotel built exclusively to house young women who moved to the District to fill government jobs during World War II. From 1969 to 2014, Howard University owned and operated the building as an off-campus dormitory known as Meridian Hill Hall. Designed in the International Style, the building evidences the emerging Modernism architecture of the Meridian Hill Neighborhood’s apartment buildings built in the mid-20th century. The building is recognized by the National Park Service as a contributing structure in the Meridian Hill Historic District and is listed on DC Inventory of Historic Sites.
Jair Lynch acquired the development rights in September 2015 from Howard University through a highly competitive process and closed the transaction in December 2015. Renovation of the 8-story 182,000 square foot hotel into a modern boutique residential building provided 206 new apartments with panoramic views of downtown Washington and a full suite of modern amenities. The project was delivered in Spring 2019.