This year, the Gold Nugget Awards is celebrating six decades of recognizing those who improve communities through exceptional concepts in design, planning, and development. The program announced its 2023 grand honorees at an awards ceremony May 24 during PCBC, the Pacific Coast’s regional conference and trade show for real estate development.
From affordable and multifamily developments to single-family production and custom homes, the annual awards program garnered 640 entries in 2023 and a slew of merit and grand awards in more than 50 categories.
“The Gold Nugget Award winners reflect our industry’s best, brightest, and most innovative architects, designers, and builder/developers,” notes Lisa Parrish, judging chairman and ceremonies administrator for the program. “The 2023 winners prove the beauty of design.”
The judging panel featured some of the most talented designers, planners, and builders in the industry, including Paul Brady, principal at Godden | Sudik Architects; Mollie Carmichael, principal at Zonda Advisory; Steven Dewan, senior principal at Bassenian Lagoni; Anne Postle, principal/senior partner at Osmosis Architecture; Kaylee Smith, real estate executive; and Eric Zuziak, partner and president at JZMK Partners.
Here’s a roundup of seven affordable housing developments that garnered Gold Nugget grand awards.
- Best Affordable Housing Community – under 30 du/acre: Avance, Livermore, California
- Developer: MidPen Housing; Builder: Mid-State Construction; Architect: DAHLIN Architecture | Planning | Interiors
- Best Affordable Housing Community – 30 to 60 du/acre: The Orchard at Hilltop, San Diego
- Developer: Affirmed Housing; Builder: HA Builder Group; Architect: Studio E Architects
- Best Affordable Housing Community – 30 to 60 du/acre: Beach Terrace, Inglewood, California
- Developer: Thomas Safran and Associates; Builder: Lena Construction; Architect: BSB Design
- Best Affordable Housing Community – 60 du/acre or more: Foon Lok West at Brooklyn Basin, Oakland, California
- Developer: MidPen Housing; Builder: Nibbi Brothers General Contractors; Architect: HKIT Architects
- Best On-the-Boards Affordable Housing Community: Vista Verde, Orinda, California
- Developer: Orinda Senior Housing Foundation; Builder: Oliver & Co.; Architect: DAHLIN Architecture | Planning | Interiors
- Best Affordable 55+ Housing Community: Entwine, Washington, D.C.
- Developer/Builder: Jair Lynch; Architect: KTGY
- Best Supportive/Transitional Housing: The North Star, Seattle
- Developer: DESC; Builder: Exxel Pacific; Architect: SMR Architects
To see the full list of grand and merit winners, please visit the PCBC website.