Located in Southeast D.C., 2330 Pomeroy Rd SE is a two-phased renovation project for the DC Prep Charter Middle and Elementary Schools that looks to fill the educational divide in the District by targeting and providing underserved communities with the academic preparation and character-building to succeed in competitive higher learning environments.
Phase 1 included a 60,000-square-foot renovation of a partially occupied building for the DC Prep Charter Schools Middle School. The renovation included:
- Interior courtyard
- Classrooms (including science and art)
- Middle school admin area
- Nurse’s suite
- New elevator
- Exterior improvements
- Updated MEP systems
- Campus wide ‘Home Office’ Admin area
Phase 1 was completed while the building was co-occupied by the DC Infrastructure Academy (DCIA). The project received initial occupancy on July 21st, 2022, right in time for the 2022-23 school year.
Phase 2 is scheduled to start in Fall 2024 and be completed for the Fall 2025 school year. Phase 2 will include renovation of the remaining 50,000 square feet and some additional changes in the original 60,000 square feet to allow for both the middle and elementary schools to be located at this campus. The renovation will include:
- Early childhood education facilities,
- A second gym
- Cafeteria space that can be combined into a multi-purpose space
- A secondary library
- Additional admin areas for the two schools
- Expansion of the ‘home office’ admin space
- Two school entrances
- New exterior programing (playground, seating areas, storm water management)
- Completion of exterior skin improvements.